December Update 2017
The Mejia Family Pictures
Isaiah 9:6 (ESV)
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
We live in a world that increasingly shows us a corrupted legal system, intimidation, secularization, socialism, political correctness, multiculturalism and traditions once so precious but now lost or in the process of being lost. The good news is that God can always turn things around for the good of all people.
Still, hundreds of millions globally will celebrate the true purpose of Christmas—Jesus Christ, His love, and His incarnation and what that means for every person living, whether for something good or not, but what I can say is Jesus is the Reason for the Season, Jesus is the true Reason to celebrate.
For sure we will celebrate Christmas in Roatan, but we are praying that this can be possible for every person in Honduras. Following the national elections on November 26, a political crisis has arisen in Honduras, and for the last two weeks we have been waiting for the election results, since there have been days of great fear, uncertainly and anxiety. Our government has suspended constitutional rights and imposed a curfew from 6 pm to 6 am, in order to keep everyone in the country safe. A few people have died, businesses have been robbed and vandalized, and protesters have caused mounting tension in the last two weeks. The situation with protesters has made moving through the city’s streets difficult because they have erected barricades of burning tires.
We expect the Electoral Supreme Tribunal will give us a final result on December 23-25, but I am sure that no matter who the winner is, the other party will not be happy, and then I don’t know what is going to happen.
Please pray that every family in Honduras can find, even in the midst of a political crisis, a moment to celebrate the very true meaning of Christmas.
At Emmanuel in Coxen Hole and St. Peter’s in Brick Bay, we continue with all our usual activities, and are at this moment preparing to celebrate Jesus at Christmas.
There is a tradition in Latin American countries to recognize a girl’s 15th birthday with a big celebration. It is a great ceremony somewhat like a big wedding, and can even take place at church. Angie is a girl who just turned 15, and we helped her to get together 14 young couples and 3 small ones, to perform the ceremony on December 9. Thirty-six people took part in the ceremony. God is good and provided for Angie’s parents to celebrate her 15th birthday.
Our deputation time is coming next year (possibly May and June); this is an opportunity for you and us to see each other after three years and share what the Lord has been doing.
Please continue to support us financially as we are planning our home ministry time, and right now we are especially focused on paying for the flights to Canada.
+Please continue to pray for:
1. Continued financial support as we plan our deputation time, especially paying for the flights to Canada
- Continued financial support for the next years as we continue to serve the Lord on Roatán, Honduras.
- For the political crisis in Honduras, the election November 26.
- The ongoing construction in Coxen Hole. Pray for the remaining installation stages: walls to be stuccoed, cement concrete for the floor and ceramic tiles.
- Our congregations: St. Peter by the Sea in Brick Bay, and Emmanuel in Coxen Hole.
- Gerardo, our youth leader, that God will continue to use him to guide the young people.
- Short term mission teams who plan to come to Roatán in the near future from Canada. Please pray for Tracey Larter from Vancouver who is planning to come to Roatan February 18th -25th with a team of 3-4 people.
- Spiritual and practical outreach in the local communities.
- The Episcopal Church in Honduras, for the process toward self-sufficiency by the end of 2019.
- Kara, who was selected with another Priest to represent the Diocese of Honduras at an event in the USA. This is to work on a three-year program for youth ministry in our Province, which includes Honduras, Ecuador, Colombia, Puerto Rico, Venezuela and the Dominican Republic.
- . For Leadership for the Church in Roatan.
Thank you very much for your prayers and continued support that enable us to continue touching people life’s with Jesus love.
For unto us a child was born
The Messiah who saves the world
May your Christmas be great as ever in the light of the Savior’s love!
May God continue to richly bless you.
Empowering the Church
Learning, Growing and Serving
Nelson and Kara Mejia