Update, October 2017
The latter glory of this house shall be greater than the former, says the Lord of hosts. And in this place I will give peace, declares the Lord of hosts. Haggai 2:9
For the past 11 years we have had the privilege of serving our people in the Bay Island of Roatan, watching Stephen (Grade 10) and Kelly (Grade 5) grow, and being involved in ministry. Year after year, our Lord has blessed us with joy and satisfaction in His service.
We are so grateful for all of you individuals, parishes and organizations that have contributed to our ministry and continue to partner with us in the Church in Roatan.
Our deputation time is coming next year (possibly May and June); this is an opportunity for you and us to see each other after three years and share what the Lord has been doing.
Please continue to support us financially as we are planning our home ministry time, and right now we are especially focused on paying for the flights to Canada. Our travel agency was celebrating their anniversary and let us know about a great discount, so we managed to put down half the ticket price ($2800 USD); this way we will save about $2000. This was great. Thanks be to God!
+We always celebrate baptisms on the beach (it is very hard to say no) so we went to Las Palmas a few minutes from our church to baptize 9 parishioners, adults and children. Emil, Antonio, Andrea, Jeimy, Joarys, Jafet, Marisol, Wendy and Tania became a new Christians and a part of the great family of God. Congratulations to all of them as they continue growing and serving the Lord our Saviour.
+One of the greatest activities that the youth, adults and children have experienced was to go out on the streets in Coxen Hole with banners to stop the automobiles, motorcycles, bicycles and people walking around and to pray for them for a minute. We were surprised how many cars and people stopped to receive prayer. The request was, “Give me one minute for God!” We went for just two hours and it really touched our congregation. Praise the Lord.
+ The latter glory of this house shall be greater than the former. This was the theme as we celebrated the 4th Anniversary of our congregation, A band come from the church in Tegucigalpa to lead the worship, and our Dean the Rev. Nery Varela preached and Norbeliza Garcia shared a great testimony. Both are from the church in La Ceiba, across the ocean. We experienced a really good weekend in God’s presence.
+Just the last Sunday of September we participated in the Bible Day parade and walked around Coxen Hole. We met all the different denominations on the walk that day and, at the end, worshipped in a united service at the stadium. The church needs to be one in serving the Lord.
+Mission Opportunity at the Episcopal Church in Roatan.
You are still invited! Now is the time to prepare, spiritually and financially, for a Short Tern Mission Team. If God is calling you and your church to mission, The Episcopal Church in Roatan formally invites you to organize a team, come down and experience the same God in a different culture, but especially to come and spend time with many of our parishioners.
There is opportunity to minister or work in construction, VBS (Vacation Bible School), teaching, evangelism, home visitation, jail visitation, dump visitation and other areas.
Please contact Rev. Nelson and Kara Mejia (firstname.lastname@example.org) who are ready to help you begin the process and decide what kind of project you can do.
+Please continue to pray for:
1. Continued financial support as we are planning our deputation time, especially paying for the flights to Canada
- Continued financial support for the next years as we continue to serve the Lord on Roatán, Honduras.
- The ongoing construction in Coxen Hole. Pray for the remaining installation stages: walls to be stuccoed, cement concrete for the floor and ceramic tiles.
4. Our congregations: St. Peter by the Sea in Brick Bay, and Emmanuel in Coxen Hole.
5. Gerardo, our youth leader, that God will continue to use him to guide the young people.
6. Short term mission teams who plan to come to Roatán in the near future from Canada.
7. Spiritual and practical outreach in the local communities.
8. The Episcopal Church in Honduras, for the process toward self-sufficiency by the end of 2019.
9. Kara, who was selected with another Priest to represent the Diocese of Honduras at an event in the USA. This is to work on a three-year program for youth ministry in our Province, which includes Honduras, Ecuador, Colombia, Puerto Rico, Venezuela and the Dominican Republic.
10. For Leadership for the Church in Roatan.
Thank you very much for your prayers and continued support that enable us to continue in this ministry.
May God continue to richly bless you.
Empowering the Church
Learning, Growing and Serving
Nelson and Kara Mejia
Hello Cara and Nelson,
Many thanks. Good to know how the Lord is working in your parishes. You are in my prayers. I am looking forward to seeing you during your visit next year.
May God continue to bless you and your ministries,
Thanks for your prayers and support, for sure we we will visit you next year. May God continue to bless you.