January 2017 Update
We have been so wonderfully blessed in our ministry over the past year and 2017 is a significant year for our congregations, Emmanuel in Coxen Hole and St. Peter in Brick Bay.
For the past 10 years we have had the honour of serving our people in the Bay Island of Roatan, watching Stephen and Kelly grow, and being involved in ministry. Year after year, our Lord has blessed us with joy and satisfaction in His service.
We are so grateful for all of you individuals, parishes and organizations that have contributed to our ministry and continue to partner with us in the Church in Roatan.
We celebrated Christmas, and at New Year we said good-bye to the previous year and we began 2017 with many expectations. We know God’s blessings will continue to flow.
Before Christmas Eve, we delivered Christmas baskets with groceries and toys to the less fortunate, thanks to Christ Church in Campbellton, St. Andrew’s in Dalhousie, and St. Mary’s in Robinsonville. Thanks to their generosity, many children had a Christmas present this year.
The Emmanuel congregation prepared 150 tamales (a traditional meal in the Christmas season) and we went to the garbage dump, the jail, and to alcoholics on the street to share tamales with them. They all expressed gratitude for our presence and said, “We hope this is not your first and last visit. Thank you very much for sharing tamales with us!”
We held our second Christmas dinner on December 29th. Both congregations met together as the body of Christ to worship, share and give thanks to the Most High for every blessing. We received spiritual nourishment for our souls and we fed our physical bodies with a delicious dinner. We spent a wonderful time together.
We are grateful for all that God has done for us, and are looking forward to all the blessings God has in store for us in 2017. Join us in praying for God’s grace and mercy throughout the year ahead.
Once more, we thank you for all your support. We will continue to keep you in our prayers and ask that you continue to pray for us and our ministry.
Please continue to pray for:
- Nelson as he serves as Spiritual Director for the next Cursillo weekend to be held this coming January 18-22.
- Nelson, who was asked by the Bishop to be part of a team helping those entering into the ordination process.
- Our congregations: St. Peter by the Sea in Brick Bay, and Emmanuel in Coxen Hole.
- Gerardo, our youth leader, that God will continue to use him to guide the young people.
- Continued financial support for the next years as we continue to serve the Lord on Roatán, Honduras.
- The ongoing construction in Coxen Hole – windows will be installed. Give thanks that a Canadian from Toronto is giving funds to finish the rose window facing the street. And pray for the remaining installation stages: walls to be stuccoed, cement concrete for the floor and ceramic tiles, to stucco the walls and to do the floor.
- Short term mission teams who plan to come to Roatán in the near future from New Brunswick parishes.
- Spiritual and practical outreach in the local communities.
- The Episcopal Church in Honduras, for the process toward self-sufficiency by the end of 2019.
Thank you very much for your prayers and continued support that enable us to continue in this ministry.
May God continue to richly bless you.
Empowering the Church
Learning, Growing and Serving
Nelson and Kara Mejia